Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Non Consumer

In church on Sunday the "Story of Stuff" was shown. I love this little clip. The Pastor challenged us to consider this video when we think about loving those around us but also those who are not visible but affected by the choices we make on a daily basis...namely our choices as consumers. I think I need to watch this video monthly to remind myself of the complexities involved when I go to purchase just a little something or other. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

I want to strive to be a non consumer for a week. I was going to do it this week but since we are in the midst of a reno I figured this wasn't realistically going to happen...and unfortunately I am not at the point where I would choose a used toilet. (Besides the older ones use more water right?! So I am justified in my new toilet expense....I have a long way to go in being a non consumer**) So I have decied to take note of my 'consumer habits' over the next few weeks. Then hopefully by the end of May go spending free for a week. With future ambitions to do this for a longer duration.

Some notes thus far:
-meeting people at coffee shops or restaurants needs to change, meeting in homes cuts back on expenses. Also need to bring snacks with me when I am out and about.
-need to make coffee/tea in a thermos on longer trips to town (I live 10 min outside of a small city) so that I am not tempted to stop of a quick cup at various coffee shops along the way.
-looking around the house and making do with items I already have!
-keeping only to the produce section of the grocery store for those whole foods and prepare meals from there. Good thing I am doing pretty good at making my own bread these days!

**Is being a non consumer even possible in todays day? Thoughts? Can I be a conscious consumer? What does that mean for my everyday purchases? Where's the balance?

If you have ideas please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment