Friday, September 25, 2009

Keeping Up With Appearances

Today, again, I needed a break. So, the girls and I jumped in the car for some random adventures. First order of business, some sleepy time in the car, and mommy gets a coffee. Delightful!

Once the girls are on the verge of waking we stop at this store to pick something up. After the pick up we decided to walk about a block down the street to rent a movie. Grace was happy holding my hand. She was wearing her sister's 12mo pants and 12mo fleece jacket, if you can picture it, they are obviously very small for this (almost) 3 year old long lean body, covering her only to her elbows and knees. But she had insisted, and since I pick my battles carefully these days, she left the house this way.

In the movie rental store my beloved Grace told me she had to 'pee'. I felt a little helpless not knowing if or where the bathroom might be. We started toward the til to ask when it happened. She peed herself right there in the 'kids' section. Her pants were wet, her shoes were filling with urine and yes it made a puddle that quickly absorbed into the carpet. I wonder how many other 'accidents' have happened in that isle. The lady at the til was quite amused to know this. I don't think she knew what to do, other than ignore the problem and leave it for the cleaners to one day address.

As we leave I notice a second hand store right next door. Perfect, we'll go pick up some dry pants (note to self, always, ALWAYS, have a change of clothes on hand, because it's happened every time, when I don't, I NEED them!). Well we didn't find any pants. But Grace had a blast wearing a cowboy hat and a playing a guitar she found. It was priceless! So we purchased our findings and began the walk back to the car. Grace, in her short, wet, pants, short jacket, cowboy hat, and guitar, skipping along the sidewalk. I wish I had my camera on me! I laughed all the way home. One tries hard to 'appear' put together. But this little girl of mine, she doesn't care about appearances, she does as she feels. Sometimes it really annoys me. Today I understand. She is having fun. Being a kid. Loving life. I can really learn from her.

2 comments:

  1. She would fit in well with Raine who strips naked any and everywhere :) And, yes I always feel I have so much to learn from her too - like to feel that comfortable IN my clothes.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete