Saturday, July 25, 2009

Spirit Garden

My mind was spinning. I needed grounding. Then i stumbled upon a therapuetic practise. Something that people have done since the beginning of time. I started to work the land. I had not planned to stop and get down on my knees in the dirt. On my little stroll to 'calm down' the garden beckoned me. As i pulled the weeds I thought of how quick and easy it was for them to grow and spread and try to inhibit my whole garden. I wonder what weeds are quickly growing in my life which need eradication. Anger. Impatience. Fear. Untrust. Busy-ness.

Since i had not planned to stop here, I wasn't prepared, my gloves were still hung in the garage...now my hands were covered in dirt, not to mention my toes and sandals which I had worn to town this morning. It felt nice to work the land. To help save my garden. To make room for the fruitful plants to flourish so that one day we might enjoy it's nouishment. What fruits am I growing in my life? Rather what fruits are the spirit tending to in my spirit garden? 22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5

Or here's The Message translation, one of my favourites: 22-23But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.

1 comment: